Sunday, February 20, 2011

Mama's Enchilada Cassarole

Ok, so my mom didn't invent this recipe, but she made it a lot when I was growing up. So to me, it's Mom's.

My friend, G-Fur (well, Jennifer, but I haven't called her that since 8th grade) came over last Friday and we attemped to make the enchilada cassarole that made my tummy happy as a kid. It was a cold, rainy, and very windy evening; perfect for slaving over the stove and creating a dish from my childhood.

We started with the ground beef. Brown with onions, garlic, salt & pepper. When the meat is just about done, add one beaten egg and sliced black olives.


While the meat is cooking, heat your canned tomato sauce & one can of water in a sauce pan.Once your meat is finished and sauce is hot, you're ready to start the layering.

Dip the corn tortillas in tomato sauce and layer on the bottom of a greased 9x13 dish.

Add your meat and spread evenly over the tortillas, layer with sauce, then sprinkle cheese over the meat. I love cheese, so the cheesier the better for me!



Then, add another layer of tortillas dipped in tomato sauce, pour remaining sauce over, and top with remaining cheese and chives.


Bake at 350 degrees (covered) for 20 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

Accompany with chips, salsa, and homemade guacalmole.


I like to add a dallop (or two) of sour cream... and VOILA!

Enchilada Cassarole

1 lb. ground beef
2 medium cans tomato sauce (I used one can of sauce and one can of crushed tomato)
1 large onion, chopped
1 egg beaten
2 cloves of garlic
1 can sliced black olives
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 corn tortillas
Grated Jack cheese
Grated Cheddar cheese
Chopped chives (optional)

If you try it, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment