Monday, January 24, 2011

It's just a name...

I went to the Social Security office a few Fridays back to change my last name. I never thought a name change could be so emotional. I cried all the way to the office, and when the lady handed me the recipt when it was all finished, the tears came again. It's so common for women to take their husband's name. Everyone I know has done it: Grandma, Mom, aunts, friends, cousins.

Well, my new card came in the mail today, and it is SO strange to see "Angela Louise" with a different last name. My first two names have been attached to my last name for 29 years. The 3 names were buddies... pals...BFF's. The whole thing is bittersweet, I guess. Don't get me wrong, though, it was my choice to take on my husband's last name, and I'm happy I did! It will just take some time for me to get use to it. I never thought I would have these feelings over a name. I just feel so silly...

1 comment:

  1. i think every new bride feels the same way. i think it took me about 6 months to get used to my new name. now, 5 + years later, its weird to hear my maiden name!

    ReplyDelete